As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, 2 in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. 3 All of us also lived among them at one time,gratifying the cravings of our flesh and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature deserving of wrath.
1. We follow “the ways of this world.” We act like everyone around us is acting.
2. We follow the devil. Here two names are given: 1) the ruler of the kingdom of the air; and 2) the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.
Satan uses his measure of control and power to tempt us to go in the wrong direction. Why do we fall for them sometimes? There is a spirit who is at work creating this desire to be disobedient. His biggest weapon? Lies. John 8:44
3. We follow our own sinful nature. 3 ways our sinful nature speaks to us:
- cravings (something I need).
- desires (something I want).
- thoughts (something I decide).
Because we are spiritually dead apart from Christ, we are “objects of wrath.” Wrath is God’s response to sin. A holy God is not going to allow sin into His presence. Because of His love for us, Jesus allowed God’s wrath for our sin to be poured out upon Him on the cross. He took it for us.
Thanks be to God!