After reading 1 Corinthians 11:17-34, it’s pretty clear that Michael Green’s summary of the theology of the Lord’s Supper is super helpful to Christian who wants to participate on Sunday but isn’t sure what to do with that corporate time with God. Using this text and the following outline has helped me to avoid making this memorial meal an empty ritual.
- Look back (to Christ’s death).
- Look in (self-examination).
- Look up (fellowship with God).
- Look around (fellowship with each other).
- Look forward (to Christ’s return).
- Look outward (to proclaim God’s word to others).