In John’s gospel, Jesus gives himself seven names.
- I am the bread of life (6:25-58).
- I am the light of the world (8:12).
- I am the door for the sheep (10:1-10).
- I am the good shepherd (10:11-18).
- I am the resurrection and the life (11:17-44).
- I am the way, the truth, and the life (14:5-14).
- I am the true vine. (15:1-17).
The many names of Jesus indicate a variety of human needs he can meet.
Do you need guidance? Go to the Good Shepherd. Do you need spiritual resources to bear much fruit? Talk to the True Vine. Do you need comfort for your grieving heart? Ask the Resurrection and the Life for a shoulder to lean on.