Galatians 5:22-23, “ But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
1. Agape=love. To serve a person for who they are, made in God’s image and not for what that person brings you. Selfish attraction is a counterfeit in that you treat them well because of what you may or will receive from them.
2. Chara=joy. To delight in God for who He is in any circumstance. It is the opposite of despair and shouldn’t be confused with the elation that comes with new found blessings only.
3. Irene=peace. To have confidence in the wisdom of God’s plan, knowing He is in control. This replaces anxiety and worry. This shouldn’t be confused with a numb apathy.
4. Makrothumia=patience. The ability to face trouble without blowing up.
5. Chrsestotes=kindness. The ability to serve other practically and vulnerably, which comes from having a deep inner security and identity.
6. Agathosune=goodness. Being the same person in every situation, rather than a phony or hypocrite.
7. Pistis=faithfulness. To be utterly reliable and true to your word. The opposite of an opportunist, a friend only in good times. A counterfeit is someone loving but not truthful, never willing to confront or challenge.
8. Prautas=gentlessness or humility. The opposite is to be superior or self-absorbed. Humility does NOT mean inferiority.
9. Egkrateia=self-control. The ability to pursue the important over the urgent rather than be impulsive or uncontrolled.